For this week’s challenge the sketch was to create a card with a square in the center with a sentiment below. When I saw this challenge I wanted to do something a little different. I wanted to create the image around the square instead of inside it. A challenge in a challenge!
I hadn’t made a card using acetate in a long time and wanted to use that for this card. I also, just purchased the mft ninja-mazing stamp and die set and wanted to use those for the first time! I pulled out mft die-namics stitched squares and a die from one of simon says card kit of the month, the circle border. I created the acetate card by trimming 110lb black cardstock into a 2″x5″ strip and scored in the middle. I ran it through the die cutting machine with the circle border die on one side and added the acetate to the front and back. I do want to mention I used heat resistant acetate so that I could heat emboss my sentiment, you want to make sure you use that or the acetate will warp. I cut one for strip of black 1″x5″ and ran through with the border die and adhered to the bottom. I used two kinds of adhesives, first I used clear adhesive tape but that wasn’t as sheer as I hoped so I used glue on the others but that was also not as sheer. I’ll have to keep trying to see what works best for acetate. Lastly, I cut a strip of 110lb white cardstock and adhered to the inside acetate a little above center to leave room for the sentiment.
I wanted to create a scene when the card was opened, so I die cut a mountain and moon from my cameo silhouette and used my favorite inks ever, Tim Holtz distress oxide inks. I used the black soot and scrapped the inking tool down to give the mountain a textured look. Next, I used candied apple, fired brick, and aged mahogany to shade the moon with awesome results!
I then stamped two pagodas and half of a ninja and colored with copic and tombow markers. I used the matching dies to the ninja-mazing stamp set and cut the images out. I glued the two pagodas on the inside on either side of the mountain. The ninja I cut down and glued, on the inside behind a stitched heart pattern square that I adhered on the front of the card in the center. The last step was a little tricky, I had to heat emboss on the acetate. I used my MISTI, probably my most treasured tool, to line it up and make sure I had versamark on the full sentiment. It was tricky to see and I still missed a little on the top sentiment, but not too shabby.
The final card came out amazing! I love the colors and the little ninja peaking out! For the finishing touch I added a tiny red velvet heart. I have tons of these laying around on my desk from cutting them out for all my valentine cards and I use them whenever I can! The inside scene also came out way better than I had hoped.